Must Try Taiwanese Foods
I love Taiwanese food and I will always be in love with it.
My family (my 2 siblings and dad) and I moved to Canada in 2001 and we’ve been living in Canada ever since. So you can imagine how much I miss my family in Taiwan and of course, Taiwanese food.
My must haves consists of the following:
- Sticky Tofu (臭豆腐) – Fried fermented tofu topped with a mixed sauce, chili sauce and hot and sour cabbage
- Taiwanese Fried Chicken (盐酥鸡）– Small chunks of deep fried chicken top with white pepper
- Beef Teppanyaki (鉄板焼) – choice of steak with noodles (mixed with little vegetable and teppanyaki sauce) and topped with a sunny side up egg.
- Fried Sweet Potato Balls (地瓜球）– mashed sweet potato is fried into a ball form
- Bubble tea (珍珠奶茶) or Handshake Berverages (手摇饮料）
- Bubble tea is typically made with tapioca and tea mixed with sugar and milk
- I like getting grass jelly and pudding instead of tapioca – ask for half sugar and half ice
- Stir fry Rice Noodles (乾板條) – Rice noodles stir fry with some dried onion, chives, meat and bean sprouts
- Meat Soup with Veggies (肉羹湯) – the soup contains chunks of meat, veggies, and black fungus
- Cold Mix Salad (涼拌沙拉) – The cold salad mix can be with braised tofu, seaweed and intestines
- Pork Burger (猪肉蛋堡) – Pork burger made with minced pork, carrots and onion, egg, lettuce, ketchup and mayonnaise.
- Normally paired with a cup of cold milk tea
- Water Spinach (空心菜) – cook with salt and garlic
- My absolute favouite vegetable in Taiwan
- Fried Pastry (銀絲卷) – The deep fried bread comes with condensed milk and crushed peanuts as dipping sauce
- Grill and Fry Station – you choose the type of snacks/food you want to fry and the option to add garlic, basil and level of spiciness.
- Braised Pork Rice (滷肉飯) – ground pork marinated and boiled in soy sauce served on top of steamed rice
These are the food/snack I grew up eating and I would not change a thing about my list. My parents always laugh at me because I would turn down the expensive fancy restaurants for some street meat. I didn’t come back to eat stuff I can eat in Canada, I miss the taste of the food I grew up eating.
I did try out 2 awesome traditional restaurants with amazing cuisines and food selections. I will post a separate blog talking specifically about the must try restaurants I love in Taiwan, so stay tuned for my new blog post!
“When we travel, we get to experience food in their authentic way and that is the reason why I will always travel for food.” – Travelbymind